New to SelfMadeScholar.com? Browse through the most popular posts as well as a few of my personal favorites. Thanks for visiting.
Getting Started with Self-Education
It can be difficult to take full responsibility for your own education and find the resources you need to succeed. These introductory articles will help you get started.
- Introduction to Self-Education
- Deschooling Yourself: How to Recover from Traditional School
- The “A-Student” Mentality and the “F-Student” Mentality
- The Importance of Finding an Intellectual “Study Buddy”
- How to Learn on Your Own: Creating an Intellectual Scholar Resource Plan
Learning Techniques & Ideas
Understanding how learning occurs can help you become a better learner. These articles focus on the theories and techniques behind the learning process.
- Building Intellectual Character: 6 Attributes That Will Make You a Better Learner
- Have You Outgrown Your Shell? The Importance of Risk-Taking
- The Joy of Practical Learning…What Can You DO?
- The 80/20 Rule of Reading
- Project: Start a Commonplace Book
Great Thinkers on Self-Education
I’m clearly not the first person to write about self-education. Learn what these great thinkers had to say on the subject.
Ivy League Education at Home
A classical education can give you insight into the world and provide you with the background necessary to be a successful leader. In this series, I outline subjects studied in the liberal arts core provided by most Ivy League colleges. Then, I direct you to no-cost resources you can use to learn at home.
- Part 1: Orientation
- Part 2: Foreign Cultures and Languages
- Part 3: Historical Study
- Part 4: Literature
- Part 5: The Arts
- Part 6: Moral Reasoning
The Great Books
Reading the great books is one way many independent learners educate themselves. Learn why these books are so important and familiarize yourself with the classics in the Great Books in 60 Seconds series.
- Introduction to the Great Books of the Western World
- 10 Ways Reading the Great Books Can Improve Your Life
- How to Really Own Your Books
- Great Books in 60 Seconds: The Iliad
Alternatives for Teaching and Schooling
Almost everyone agrees that traditional schools are dealing with some very serious problems. In these articles, I examine the issues they face and offer some alternatives.