Peer-to-Peer University Offers First Session of Free Online Classes

Written by on August 25, 2009 in Ivy League Education at Home, Learning Resources - 7 Comments

peer-to-peerWant to take a quality online class from an experienced adviser without paying a dime? The pilot session of Peer-to-Peer University begins this September.

Although no formal credit is offered, Peer-to-Peer University courses look like a promising resource for lifelong learners. They combine freely available opencourseware with more personalized instruction, giving enrollees the opportunity to study alongside peers.

I’ve often found it difficult to use opencourseware for personal study. The best material is often hidden amongst  skimpy syllabi and, since the content was created for live courses, it can be frustrating to use independently. Peer-to-Peer University solves that problem by finding the highest quality learning material and connecting learners with a guide.

Courses offered include:

If you want to enroll in the first session fo Peer-to-Peer University courses, you’ll have to hurry. The application period ends August 26. Additional courses will be offered after the six-week session ends.

7 Comments on "Peer-to-Peer University Offers First Session of Free Online Classes"

1. Savant August 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm · Reply

Yeah, we mis you Jamie glad to hear you’re back, now lets get the ball rolling lol.

2. An September 3, 2009 at 7:45 am · Reply

I hope they will expand their course offerings!

3. Aaron November 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm · Reply

Wow! Free learning and peer to peer to boot!! Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

4. Savant November 8, 2009 at 3:11 am · Reply

it’s about time Jamie lol, by the way I sign up for University of the people and so far so good. One of the things they need to implement is video conferencing at least once a week. The first time is over now heading into the second term.

5. Cassandra May 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm · Reply

Good evening, Jamie! I’ve been reading through your archives and have really enjoyed your blog posts. I’m just hoping that you are going to continue posting!

6. J. J. Roscher May 21, 2010 at 6:51 am · Reply

I have enjoyed your website on self education. I have learned much from your articles. I hope there is more to come.

JJ Roscher

7. Rachel June 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm · Reply

Great post. I found a great non-profit that has been helping disadvantaged school districts and has had many success stories improving student achievement in Math, SAT and ACT including Collier County, FL and St. Landry Parish, LA. Their site is http://www.cyberlearning.org. CyberLearning also offers Technology courses
    that many schools could find useful.