Free Self-Ed eBook: Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar

Written by on July 22, 2009 in Learning Resources - 11 Comments

buccaneerWhen James Bach was a young teen, he dropped out of high school to learn on his own. Teachers said that he’d end up pumping gas for a living. But, instead, he studied technology and took a position as the youngest group manager at Apple Computer when he was only 20.

Now, Bach calls himself a “buccaneer-scholar.” What is that, exactly?

He explains: “A buccaneer-scholar is anyone whose love of learning is not muzzled, yoked, or shackled by any institution or authority; whose mind is driven to wander and find its own voice or place in the world.”

Bach’s book, Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar is set to be released this September. But, right now publisher Simon & Schuster is letting anyone digitally borrow and read the entire book for free.

In the book, you’ll read more about Bach’s amazing self-education story. You’ll also find useful suggestions for discovering your own passion and making learning a more meaningful part of your life.

Here’s how to get the book:

1. Go to the Simon & Schuster Buccaneer-Scholar webpage.
  2. Give them your email address and some other basic info.
  3. Download the book and the Adobe Digital editions reader (also free).
  4. You’ll have two weeks from your download date to read the book before it disappears from your e-reader.

So far, I’m half way through Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar and am loving every page. Instead of waiting until I finish the book, I’m posting now so that you can download it while it’s still available. The free download period ends on July 24th, so there are only a few days left.

11 Comments on "Free Self-Ed eBook: Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar"

1. Idzie July 22, 2009 at 1:51 pm · Reply

I just found your blog via a James Bach post on Twitter. As an 18 year old longtime unschooling teen, and passionate advocate of unschooling, I’m enjoying poking around your site! :-)

Peace,
    Idzie

2. Dixie Darr July 23, 2009 at 6:59 am · Reply

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it last night and am enjoying reading it.

3. Jamie July 26, 2009 at 11:58 pm · Reply

Idzie, thanks for stopping by. We’re rather fond of unschoolers around here.

Dixie Darr, I’m glad you’re enjoying the book. It’s a good read!

4. Clay July 29, 2009 at 12:11 pm · Reply

Agh! I missed it! I wonder if anyone will send it to me? Now I know better than to miss a day checking my reader updates!

5. Manish Gupta August 6, 2009 at 12:56 am · Reply

I misses it:(… can anyone send it to me please please please.
    my email id is manishgupta88@gmail.com
    Please anyone send it to me.
    thanks a tonn in advance

6. Sushant August 21, 2009 at 1:31 am · Reply

Hi ,

This is Sushant here from India. Could you please mail me the e-book of “Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar” ? I have been searching for this book for a long time now.

My mail id : sushant172@gmail.com
    Skype : sushant.hublikar

7. Arun September 8, 2009 at 12:43 am · Reply

I too missed this book to download. Please anyone send this book to me for this mail id (arunkumarang@gmail.com).

thanks in advance.

8. eugene najera November 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm · Reply

Can someone please send me a copy!

Tks,

Eugene

9. nayita February 5, 2010 at 2:40 am · Reply

I wish I can read this book soon. I want to self educate myself and want to be an architect on my own. Do you guys think it will be possible? In your site, I did not find any information on these? I want to learn about architecture, especially landscaping on my own, as well some other things where one can use her aesthetic sense. It will be great if I could find a way to do so. I am tired of hearing from people that I am good for nothing.

10. self ed geek February 5, 2010 at 2:41 am · Reply

This is a good book

11. Suman December 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm · Reply

i like to read this book, hope its a great book.